The Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule – Second Edition (ADOS-2) is a semistructured, standardised assessment of communication, social interaction, play, and restricted and repetitive behaviours. By observing and coding these behaviours, clinicians can obtain information that informs diagnosis, intervention, treatment planning, and educational placement.
The ADOS-2 includes five modules, each requiring between 40-60 minutes to administer. The individual being evaluated is given only one module, selected on the basis of his or her expressive language level and chronological age:
- Toddler Module-for children between 12 and 30 months of age who do not consistently use phrase speech
- Module 1-for children 31 months and older who do not consistently use phrase speech
- Module 2-for children of any age who use phrase speech but are not verbally fluent
- Module 3-for verbally fluent children and young adolescents
- Module 4-for verbally fluent older adolescents and adults
The ADOS-2 requires formal and specific training. Administrators either need to attend formal ADOS-2 Training, or purchase the Training Package, which contains training videos on DVD and a Training Guidebook.
The ADOS-2 DVD Training Package covers all 5 modules, featuring case examples for all modules.
The case examples for Modules 1 through 4 are identical to those in the ADOS DVD training package (since these modules retain basic ADOS activities). The case examples for the Toddler Module are new.
The included Training Guidebook has been updated, with part one updated to correspond to the revisions made to the Booklets. A CD containing PDFs of all Training Protocol Booklets in included with the Guidebook.
Total running time: Approximately 14 hours.